Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Lack of Time Continued

I have already given you my opinion on your lack of time, now I would like to tell you a little about what I noticed in the children whose parents suffer from the same syndrome. I mentioned earlier that I am a teacher. I spend 8 hours a day with children, many of whom spend far more time with me than with their parents (not so true in my current situation, but certainly true in the past). In any case, if you are not spending enough time with your children, it shows up in their homework, their classwork, in their peer interactions and in their general behavior. I deal with quite a few kids who have stay at home moms and stay at work dads. Mom's are stressed out and often check out, so now the kids are lacking emotional support from both mom and dad. I see 7 and 8 year old children who are running the household. They do what they want, say what they want, and get what they want. This has to change! Children need your help with homework, they need to spend time with you, they do need undivided attention, but they don't need to run all over you. I spoke to a parent about her child not turning in homework and do you know what her reaction was? "We don't have enough time!!" Ludicrous.

No comments: