Sunday, January 20, 2008

I'll Start at the Beginning

Everyone has opinions on parenting, even those who do not or have never parented. I wanted to share my opinions in a blog. I do not take full credit for all of my ideas, for parenting has been around far longer than I have. Both good and bad advice has been passed down for generations. I am hoping to take what I have learned, synthesize it, and pass on what makes sense to me.

First, a little about me. I am fairly new to parenting, not an expert by any means. The advantage I have over some is that in addition to being a parent, I am also a teacher. I have seen, first hand, the affects of every different kind of parenting strategy you can imagine; the good, the bad, and the ugly. I have also had the benefit of foster parent training which I found incredibly insightful and useful. I refer to my training often. I also refer to other parents, the best source in the world. I do keep in mind; however, that not all advice is good advice; therefore, second, third, and even fourth opinions are often necessary. Again, I take what I learn, I synthesize it, and I use what makes sense. I expect that you will do the same.
I suppose the most important thing to remember, whether we are parenting or educating children (hopefully we do both), is that all children, all people, are different; all situations are different; what works for one child may not work for another; what works in one situation may not work in another. Children respond differently to different types of discipline; therefore it is important to know what your child responds to (positively) and then be consistent. Oh yes, consistency. That is the key. I suppose if you remember one word from this blog, it should be consistency. I'm sure it is a word you have heard over and over, particularly when referring to raising children and even more precisely when referring to discipline. I suppose since this word does come up so often, we should pay attention.

No comments: